Although this post is sponsored by Nature’s Touch™ Frozen Foods, all opinions are my own.
This is quite simply the easiest, most delicious, and “have it any time during the day” kind of dessert recipe in the world. Although, I still contemplate if it can be truly termed as a dessert! It has fruit after-all. And oats. Doesn’t that give it a healthy twist? It does – atleast in my books.
You all know how much I love afternoon teas. I grew up in a culture (back in India) where events and meetings are planned around high-teas (as they are fondly called back home). And I very much keep that ritual alive in our lifestyle today. What is better than the prospect of a lazy afternoon stretching in front of you with nothing urgent to be done? I believe the afternoon tea was created so you could enjoy every bit of the present moment, savoring delicious food and allowing your body to de-stress one sip or one bite at a time. While the simple traditional pairings of a cucumber sandwich or a buttery scone will satiate the afternoon cravings, but when I am feeling a bit adventurous – I want to do something special, while keeping it simple.
That’s when this warm, delicious, oozing with fruity goodness, topped with golden brown crunchiness comes into the picture. I do like a good dose of nostalgia and the smell wafting from the oven definitely takes me back to the fancy parties I attended with mum and dad as a little girl. Food does that to you – brings back sweet old memories. Why don’t you try this one for yourself and explore your own adventurous spirit =))
You need fruits to begin with. Mango and Strawberries go great together – tangy, sweet and sharp! I used Nature’s Touch frozen organic strawberries and mangoes. I love that these are organic and keep them stocked in my freezer for when the adventurous spirit kicks in and I want to whip something fun and fabulous! Also, it is not always easy to find ripe, delicious mangoes all year round – having a safe stash in the freezer is therefore a good idea. Another reason, I keep these stocked are because frozen fruits are great for making smoothies! I find them easily at my local Shaw’s and if you have a ShopRite in your hood, they are stocked in the freezers there as well. Big Y has the frozen veggie variety as well!
(For 4 servings and for keeping your extra share for later – do it when no one’s watching)
- 2 cups frozen Mango & 2 cups frozen Strawberries ( I used the 32oz bag of Nature’s Touch Frozen Organic Mangos and Strawberries almost equals 2 cups )
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- squeeze of lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup oats ( I used the 1-minute kind )
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 stick butter – cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, mix the fruits and all the ingredients from the fillings list. You don’t need to thaw the fruit.
- In another bowl, make the topping by combining all ingredients. You need to mush ( yeah that’s a technical term ), all ingredients together, especially the butter with everything else so you are left with pea-sized clumps
- Pour the berry filling into a baking dish. Top with the oat crumble topping. Even it out with the back of a spoon (or don’t – it tastes the same and I won’t tell anyone!)
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour. You’ll see the fruit bubbling and the oat crumble turning golden brown
There is also an Instagram contest, if the chef inside you is feeling adventurous to try something fancy; you should definitely check it out. It runs from 3/20 – 5/31.
- Create and share your own recipe with Nature’s Touch products to get a chance to win a Foodie Trip Adventure of your choice (either Chile, Belgium, or Canada), plus other great prizes such as a free NutriBullet® or grocery gift cards.
- You’ll also get a chance to visit one of the farms where Nature’s Touch sources their fruits and veggies.
- Post a photo on Instagram of your favorite recipe creation using Nature’s Touch products
- Tag @NaturesTouchContest with #FlavorAdventure
- For more information on the contest and to get other inspirational recipes, visit NaturesTouchContest.com
I hope you love the Mango-Strawberry crumble recipe as much as we do – let me know if you do try it! I will take my chances to crumble under your love after you’ve tried this yourself! =)) xo Neha